Thursday, May 28, 2009

Shooting Stars and Magic

At first look my third floor balcony has very little appeal. It looks over the back ally of a bookstore. Next to the book store there is an auto body shop that often makes awful noises at early hours in the morning. Across the street from the auto body shop is a Sinclair gas station. Electric wires are strewn every which way from our roof to the auto body shop, making it look like a blind bird’s worst nightmare.

But first looks can be deceiving.

I wouldn’t trade my balcony for anybody’s in the complex. I think it’s a special balcony, dare I say even magical. My balcony is jetted out more than any other apartment in the building giving it quite a bit of seclusion. If you can look over the Sinclair station and past all the other buildings, there is a great view of the mountains and sunset. At night the moon rests just above as a personal nightlight for the balcony.

My favorite part…

At night before the ally street lights come on my neighbor’s horizontal antenna catches the lights of passing cars giving off the effect of a shooting star in the corner of your eye. In fact, it’s so believable as a shooting star that every time a car drives by I look to the shiny black antenna thinking it must be a real shooting star. And every time I’m shocked to see the piece of black metal in the air instead of a dark blue sky with burning stars.

It's definitely magic. Make a wish.

No comments: