Friday, April 18, 2008

Where do I want to be April 18, 2009?

“Time is not measured by the passing of years but by what one does, what one feels, and what one achieves.”

--Jawaharal Nehru

Finishing finals week of my sophomore year. Accepted into both my majors. Saving money for England. In Logan. Single. Debt free. Realistically, this will be me in one year. It is interesting how we perceive time. Right now one year seems so far away, and yet it feels so close at the same time. I'm 19, a year from now I'll be 20. Life won't seem so different, but how much do we really change in a year? Something that I think would be so awesome but completely impossible, is to talk to yourself a year ago. So at the end of your life, you have you at every age, and just talk to all of them. Would they all seem different to you? To other people? How much do we really change and grow, and how much of it is just us, how we are, indifferent and immovably part of our character? Going back and reading journal entries from years back, I find it amusing. I find myself cringing out of embarrassment for myself. Its a good thing no one else reads my journals, because I was an idiot, and for the most part, I probably still am.

We measure our life by the years we live, the days that go by, the hours spent, and the minutes that pass, but is that how we should measure it? Think, if all perception of time were taken from us, how would we measure life? Maybe the wrinkles on your forehead, possibly the gray hairs on your head, the inches we grow, or how many times we eat. I think, that if we didn't measure time by minutes, I'd want to measure it by laughter. How many times have you laughed? I'm sure I'm over 50,000 laughs old. Years don't tell anyone the kind of life you lived or the experiences you've had. The only thing years represents is the time you've spent breathing, who wants to know that? Today a guy at work asked me how old I was and I told him I was 19 and he laughed and said "I thought you were older than that." In my opinion, years mean very little. I suppose some would argue that years show experience and seniority, but life's experiences for everyone are different and who are we to tell someone they haven't lived as much because they haven't had as many years? We measure time because we know of no other way not to. A minute, an hour, a day, they are all just a figment of time that we've created to show worth, and I think we all spend a lot of "time" that's been completely worthless. So the question is, How old are you?

1 comment:

Lysee said...

It is so funny because i have been thinking about time alot lately too. I totally wrote a blog about it a few days ago. which really is since you wrote this-just thought it was crazy ironic.