Saturday, April 12, 2008

Things I've wanted to be when I grow up

"All my life I used to wonder what I would become when I grewup. Then, about seven years ago, I realized that I was nevergoing to grow up... that growing is an ever ongoing process."

-- M. Scott Peck

A flight attendant, a doctor, a teacher, a taxi driver, a politician, a lawyer, a beautician, a writer, an artist, a photographer, an editor, a mother, a traveler, a singer, an actress, a cook, a business women, a professional athlete, an inventor, Oprah, a vet, a genius, old, a mechanic, a boss, a pilot, rich, a sales person, a counselor, a food critic, a movie critic, a critic, a marine biologist, a climber, an explorer, a director, a maid, a poet, a mk consultant, a sailor, an architect.... and there is so much more that has gone through my head over the years. Some are silly, some are exciting, some boring, some aim to high, others maybe a little too low, but I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what I do. I could be the greatest food critic the world has ever known, and still not be satisfied. So, now, you ask, at the age of nineteen, what do I want to be when I grow up?... happy.

“The way to find out about happiness is to keep your mind on those moments when you feel most happy, when you are really happy — not excited, not just thrilled, but deeply happy. This requires a little bit of self-analysis. What is it that makes you happy? Stay with it, no matter what people tell you. This is what is called following your bliss.”

--Joseph Campbell

No comments: