Monday, April 14, 2008

When do you feel most loved?

“Everyone has a gripping stranger in their lives, the man in the library who checks out your books, the teller that deposits your check, the co-worker that always smiles but you never talk. A stranger who, if you were to come home and find a message from them on your answering machine saying, "Drop everything. I love you. Come with me now," you'd follow them.”

-anon

So I was asked the question "When do you feel most loved?" by a friend today and it totally took me off guard. We always send these funny little texts to each other that ask the other questions, just random things that come up in our day. I usually try to respond as fast as I can with the first thing that pops in my head, I figure its the most honest that way... but today, I totally had to stop and think. My first answer was "when I say my prayers", but she was looking for a more "living people" response. After thinking about it for a few seconds, I really couldn't think of anything. I mean, I'm not trying to say I never feel loved, because I'm sure I do, I just can't think of when and who makes me feel the most loved. So I thought about it for a little longer and came to this conclusion. No one person makes me feel "most" loved. In fact, the moments and people that probably make me feel loved are with the people I know very little. When someone I don't know very well does something nice or goes out of their way to help me is when I feel most loved. Which is really kind of funny, you think your family and close friends would make you feel most loved, but if you think about it, and maybe its just me, it makes sense. When people who know very little about your character and decide to do something for you based on the mere fact that they like you as a person is when I feel most loved. Strangers that genuinely smile, acquaintances that go out of their way to help you. And maybe that says more about those people that help me, but that's when I feel most loved.

No comments: