Monday, September 21, 2009

Opening up shop?

So I had the pleasure and joy of having my wisdom teeth (4 to be exact) extracted from my jaw this past week. I was surprised that as the day of my oral surgery grew closer I didn't really get nervous... and I thought I would. I mean your talking to someone who has never had surgery of any type, never been put under, and never had any "serious" injury. The morning came and my mother drove me to the oral surgeon bright and early. I wasn't even nervous waiting in the lobby. Before I knew it they called me back. A nice man in blue scrubs shook my hand and said, "Well are you ready?" I nodded and literally within 60 seconds I was laying down with tubes up my nose and and IV down my arm. These guys don't waste time! Still I couldn't believe how completely calm I was.

Being put under was easily the weirdest experience of my life. I remember the ceiling and then nothing. About 30 minutes later I woke up and could feel and see hands still in my mouth. I might have slightly panicked at this point. The only real fear I had going into the whole thing that I was going to wake up in the middle of the procedure, so when I woke up with two pairs of hands in my mouth, I attempted to yell "I'm awake, I'm awake!" Just too make sure they were aware I was fully conscious. However, it turns out they were just shoving 10 strips of gaws into my mouth, which made it slightly less embarrassing because they of course had no idea what I was yelling at them wide eyed with a mouth full of cotton.

A nurse walked with me to a plush recliner where I sat for ten minutes trying to get a handle on my brain, which at this point seemed a little elusive. My mom came and sat with me, but apparently all I could say was, "That was so weird." The nurse briefly described the medications and what to do for dry socket and helped me up to go to the car, when I immediately fell back down into the chair. She put me in a wheel chair after that. According to my mother I was very ornery, but I claim that she was being patronizing. I mean seriously, you can't tell a drugged person hey don't know what they're talking about! I was drugged for goodness sake! Just nod and smile!

I spent the next two hours sleeping with an alarm set for every 30 minutes to wake me up so I could change out my gaws. And so I could rotate between the plethora of prescription drugs they gave me. I finally got feeling back in my entire face around four 0' clock at which point I ate soup. Basically I was back to normal the next day. I may or may not have eaten Cafe Rio the day after I got my wisdom teeth out. I can't really remember.

Fast forward to three days later (today) and here I am with dry socket in the bottom right hole in my mouth. Luckily, I have enough pain killers for that and more. What a lovely experience it's been.

No comments: