Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Please Try to Rember the First of Octember




So... I would just like to shove this little post in this little time frame that I would like to call the 1st of Octember. (Neatly placed and started on September 30th, but not completed until October 1st)

If your not familiar with the classic Dr. Suess book I highly suggest you go get if from the library, or even better, just go buy it, because its easily his best. Now as a child I read this book and I thought When the heck is Octember and how do I get there? For those who are feeling a bit left out, I'll aid with a breif, but what can't hold a candle to the original, synopsis. There is this young boy who lists all these things that he wants and Dr. Suess goes on to tell him that everything can be his if he only remembers the first of Octember. So he makes this list an goes through in depth these things that he wants and then by the end it just shows this kid waiting with his list until Octember.

I feel as if I have that list and I'm five years old again waiting ever so eager for the 1st of Octember. That list has gotten longer over the years and sure, somethings were scratched out for others. I traded barbies for books and books for boys. But I still feel like I'm five, jumping up and down waiting and waiting. I used to think about it all the time and I would wonder.... If their were an Octember, where would it be. I came to the conclusion as I'm sure Dr. Suess did, that if their were an Octember that it would land between September and October. But where exactly. It always goes straight from September 30th to October 1st with no time for Octember. Then I began to wonder how I could make time for Octember and what I would have to do to get my first of Octember. By this time my five year old little head was so dizzy of dreams of fountains of soda and fields of candy that I usually fell asleep.

And then, at the sad age of 13 or 14 I realized something. It didn't matter if I could find time for Octember (which I couldn't), nothing could happen and no one would ever be able to give me everything on my list. The First of Octember, which I knew was never real anyway, quickly and painfully died. Octember was never really tangible, it was just a dream, an idea that Dr. Suess shared with the world that one perticular little girl seemed to like very much. And yet, still, here I am almost 20 years old, waiting for the First of Octember.

No comments: