Friday, December 28, 2007

The mysteries of little children

I happen to have two younger siblings, whom to be quite honest I would usually rather strangle than take to a movie, but I found myself attending the Movies 10 dollar theater with them this morning by some mere whim of kindness. After going through the rather short line, the likely 16 year old girl gave me my tickets and gave me a brief smile, we proceeded to theatre 3. I did not envy her job. Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium was the movie, and after watching the previews for other movies I wanted to see, I was rather unexcited for the "feature presentation." With one little sister on my left, and the other on my right, I couldn't help but be happy for their excitement. Lia had taken my arm and weaved hers through mine as if to brace her self for the excitement to come. Moriya, now just 12, was trying to play it cool, but I could see the euphoria behind her eyes. The lights dimmed and the movie began. Surprisingly, I loved the movie. It was a cross of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with a Matilda essence that only Roald Dahl could think up. I left the theatre, truly feeling like a child. The spectacular cast, an amazing performance by Hoffman and Portman, left you with the feeling that maybe there really is magic. It sparked thoughts in my head that I didn't even know were there. I think I may have liked the movie more than both my little sisters combined. When you can find something, whether it is a book, a movie, or possibly even a person, that can make you feel like your six years old again, and the world is much bigger than it seems, but that everything is a possibility, it's something you have to hold on to. In Chris Van Allsburg's book The Polar Express we are reminded of the innocence and magic of believing in something. I think its something that everyone wants when they grow up, but they can't find it. Just like Mr. Weston, or as he is known in the film "The Mutant", adults can't see the magic anymore unless they believe in it, and most can't believe anymore. Anything you can find that can make you believe again, is worth holding on to. Believing in magic is a precious commodity that few have because most have lost it. The question is, Can you still hear the bell?

1 comment:

Lysee said...

I really like this post. It makes me want to be innocent and childlike again... to still believe in Santa Claus and the boogie man.