Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Springtime cold

It was a slow day. The past couple of years I've been getting an awful cold right at the turn of spring. It's been a  cruel punishment for only having a handful of colds in my lifetime. Now I seem to get a full fledged cold at the turn of every season, as if my body feels like it needs to catch up for the first 17 years of my life. I am however learning a few things. From experience and for future reference to myself, these are a few things that do not help a cold:

  • cookies
  • cookie dough
  • ice cream (even though it feels good on your throat)
  • really any form of sugar is just bad
  • crying does not clear out your sinus' but only adds more pressure into an already stuffy head
  • petting your cat that is loosing his winter coat is really just not good either
  • nyquil is no bueno in my book
  • soda pop
  • any sugar beverage is going to do more harm than good
Now here are some things that have made me feel better, some do more good than others and a few are just for the soul:
  • vitamin C - like 3,000 miligrams a day, and then drink an
  • Emergen C right before bed, tastes gross but does wonders
  • calcium (twice a day)
  • ibuprofen helps knock out that headache
  • green tea with truvia - no sugar and green tea is great for you immune system, plus its a hot beverage which helps with the sore throat (decaf) (once a day)
  • ramen, ramen, ramen - breakfast lunch and dinner, I don't know why it makes me feel better, but it's one of the few things I crave when I'm sick
  • airborne - preferably the orange flavor, but any will do (twice a day)
  • staying in the sunlight - instead of staying in bed in my basement I watched movies in my living room by the big windows, a little sunshine does some good. Gotta get that vitamin D
  • a hoodie - now this really is a funny one for me because if you know me at all, I'm always in a hoodie, but when I'm sick I like to wear that old worn out hoodie that I can't wear in public anymore because I've worn it too much
  • a shower - whenever I wake up sick and feel like sitting in bed all day, its always a good idea to get myself in the shower asap. Just being clean makes a world of difference, even if all your gonna do is stay home all day
  • Kyolic aged garlic extract - ok so this is a weird one that can be blamed on my upbringing. It is a great antibiotic and really turns a wicked 7 day cold into a 2 mild day cold, however when you take too much, you need that ibuprofen to counteract that insane headache your going to get (3 times a day)
  • lots and lots and lots of water, drink as much as you can, it keeps you hydrated and does a sore throat wonders
I hope I can kick this cold in a day or two, but I'd love to hear anyone's tips for how to get rid of a cold fast.

No comments: